The new Bruce Trail app has been downloaded by some 4,000 hikers since it was launched in late fall. To highlight some of the new features with the app, a webinar was hosted by Brooke Henry of the Bruce Trail Conservancy on January 13.
While the old app is functional until April 2022, as of January 2020, it does not have the latest trail closures or re-route information. Brooke explained some of the features that the new app including:
– A user-friendly homepage and navigation
– Identification of no-pet zones
– Information about BTC Natural Protected Areas
– Detailed parking and campsite information
– Ability to apply and pin notes (e.g. your favourite lookouts)
– Ability to customize what info appears on your map while viewing
– Ability to save your tracked routes for future use (and add notes)
For those who are worried about data or connectivity issues looking for an off-line function, one of the best features of the new app is the ability to download only the individual map you may be using. The old app only gave you the option to downloading all of 42 maps. These maps have the most up-to-date information , with Trail changes and notices that may not be featured in the 30th Edition of the Bruce Trail Reference Guide.
The new app also includes all of the regular features that were most commonly used and appreciated by hikers, such as:
- Ability to Track your hike route
- A quick distance measuring tool
- A variety of map views including BTC view, satellite or just basic map details
The price of the app is now on a subscription model which means you pay a yearly fee of $29.99 or $2.99 per month. The monthly fee might be cheaper if you only plan on hiking during the summer. You can discontinue your month-to-month option and start up again whenever you want. All of your saved trail routes and notes will still be there, if you have used the same account sign-in information. Subscription costs support regular improvements to the app, as well as BTC conservation efforts and Trail development. To view the webinar and FAQs read more https://brucetrail.org/pages/bruce-trail-app